Report cards...
Wow....I cant really believe the first nine weeks of school are already over. Unreal! Everyone got report cards on Friday and did GREAT!!!! Stephanie maintains her all A's streak which hasn't been broken since she started school. Jay made 3 A' s and 3 B's. He worked hard for them ,especially in Science and Social Studies where his reading comprehension gives him fits at times. One of the A's was in Science though so that is awesome! Blake had all A's and one B. His one B was in that highly advanced reading group. His teacher stated that at the beginning of the year, the only bad thing about the kids being in this very advanced group was that some of them might get a B on their report card for reading due to the advanced work even though they are working at a much more advanced rate than the other kids. That's all good and not a problem because I know he is working on things that the other two didn't see until the next school year or even later. However, both of his teachers discussed with me about whether I wanted him to stay in this advanced class where he would work hard and hold his own at a strong B or move down to the next highest class, which is still well above benchmark and labeled "ahead". I decided to move him down so that he doesn't lose any confidence. Although Blake is reading about the same words per minute as his brother who is in 4th grade, I think it will benefit him more to go down because apparently there are some kids in there that are reading about 20 more words per minute than him. The teacher says that the kids are pretty competitive in there but she feels like Blake may feel "slow" when he is really well above most of the 1st grade but when put in this class he feels slow because he is on the slower end of this upper level class....if that even makes any sense when I type it out. They plan to move him back into this group after Christmas which is also about the same time the other class will finish the first grade curriculum and be using the "special order" stuff bought just for them. Either way, I am proud of him. I never in a million years saw this coming from him. Apparently, the elementary school has stated that this group of kids is more advanced than they have seen in years and I am glad that my son is a part of it. Wow... Anyhoo...I am so proud of him. They are on the 500 word list and he is doing great and stands out in the crowd of his grade. He loves school and has accomplished alot!
The 6th grade teachers have been questioning why Stephanie is not in the humanities/gifted class since they had all submitted her to be placed in it last year. At the beginning of the year, the "gifted" teacher checked on all the paperwork and it had been put aside and misplaced up at the board of education. I told her not to worry about it really because I really like the 7th grade Literature teacher. She is really making it fun for the kids and they are learning alot. I asked her to just make sure the paperwork was pushed through and ready for next year. I guess the teachers this year have been asking about why she is not in the gifted program so the paperwork is again being pushed through. The gifted teacher told me the other day we should hear something this week. This would mean a schedule change for Stephanie and also alot more reading for her, which she doesn't actually enjoy. I am not sure why she wants to be in there so badly, other than her close friends are in there. I am concerned that she will actually not learn as much in there or that it may be too advanced for her. Stephanie is a hard worker and works above her potential. She does extremely well and I am proud of her but I am not sure she is necessarily "gifted". Her grades make her teachers think so but I really think its more about her attitude. She studies and works for her grades. They don't just happen. Out of around 150 kids in her class though, she and two other students are the only three who have maintained all A's throughout school. That is an awesome accomplishment. So, I will just sit back and let the teachers decide what to do with her because this is certainly out of my realm of knowledge as to what to do.
Jaybird is moving right along with his work as well. Since I am working the afterschool math tutoring, Mrs. Peacock has allowed me to put Jay into the reading after school tutoring even though he didn't qualify for the program. I wanted to put him in so that he could learn some reading strategies and increase his comprehension. I was denied at first but now since I am working it they can put him in. I am so happy. The whole "speed" thing they use on our elementary grades really messes him up. He gets so nervous trying to read as fast as he can that he has no clue what words he has read. I think his life will be much easier when DIBELS is behind us. Jay's talent is in math. His ability to reason things in his head and just know how to do it amazes me. He has quickly learned math facts and races through those skills. Math is defnitely his strong point.
All three did their best and did a great job! Makes their Momma proud! Not to mention that they did all of this while maintaining a very busy athletic schedule! Whew!
The 6th grade teachers have been questioning why Stephanie is not in the humanities/gifted class since they had all submitted her to be placed in it last year. At the beginning of the year, the "gifted" teacher checked on all the paperwork and it had been put aside and misplaced up at the board of education. I told her not to worry about it really because I really like the 7th grade Literature teacher. She is really making it fun for the kids and they are learning alot. I asked her to just make sure the paperwork was pushed through and ready for next year. I guess the teachers this year have been asking about why she is not in the gifted program so the paperwork is again being pushed through. The gifted teacher told me the other day we should hear something this week. This would mean a schedule change for Stephanie and also alot more reading for her, which she doesn't actually enjoy. I am not sure why she wants to be in there so badly, other than her close friends are in there. I am concerned that she will actually not learn as much in there or that it may be too advanced for her. Stephanie is a hard worker and works above her potential. She does extremely well and I am proud of her but I am not sure she is necessarily "gifted". Her grades make her teachers think so but I really think its more about her attitude. She studies and works for her grades. They don't just happen. Out of around 150 kids in her class though, she and two other students are the only three who have maintained all A's throughout school. That is an awesome accomplishment. So, I will just sit back and let the teachers decide what to do with her because this is certainly out of my realm of knowledge as to what to do.
Jaybird is moving right along with his work as well. Since I am working the afterschool math tutoring, Mrs. Peacock has allowed me to put Jay into the reading after school tutoring even though he didn't qualify for the program. I wanted to put him in so that he could learn some reading strategies and increase his comprehension. I was denied at first but now since I am working it they can put him in. I am so happy. The whole "speed" thing they use on our elementary grades really messes him up. He gets so nervous trying to read as fast as he can that he has no clue what words he has read. I think his life will be much easier when DIBELS is behind us. Jay's talent is in math. His ability to reason things in his head and just know how to do it amazes me. He has quickly learned math facts and races through those skills. Math is defnitely his strong point.
All three did their best and did a great job! Makes their Momma proud! Not to mention that they did all of this while maintaining a very busy athletic schedule! Whew!
Its all good!

1 Comments:
fantastic news for the kids and you too!!
Post a Comment
<< Home