Saturday, September 03, 2005

At my Aunts 80th birthday party



This was such a great day this summer. When I was growing up, my extended family was extremely close. I am not sure why my generation has let this tradition fall. When we were kids we saw each other at least monthly, even though we all lived out of town. However, all of our "Grannies" lived in a small town in Alabama and we would all go see our Granny and in turn see all of our cousins. I can remember friends back home would dread going to see their Grandparents or complain because they might miss some "major" event but there was nothing I liked better to do than to go to my Granny's house. However, since much of that generation is now gone, I guess we just dont have common ground anymore and our lives are just too hectic or more than likely we dont make the time???? Our generation is much more required to work outside the home and this just puts another twist into the equation when trying to get together with people. Its sad really, because my most cherished childhood memories are the times I was at my Granny's.

This summer my Granny's sister (the only sibling left out of 6) celebrated her 80th birthday. It was only a couple of hours that our extended family was together, but it was so nice to see some cousins, aunts and uncles etc that I havent seen in years. It was a wonderful day! We were able to show off our children and visit, if only for a short time. It was awesome to see how so many of our children look just like us and then to see them in the same place where we spent hours as children. Since I moved alot as a child and no longer live in a town where I spent any days as a child, I dont have these moments often. It was really fun.

This picture of my kids was taken on the front porch of the little building where we had the party. When I was growing up this building was used as the church parsonage. To see my kids in a place where I spent so many childhood hours playing is just so cool! In the background I see a street and a small town that meant the world to me and houses many of my favorite memories. I know that behind where I was standing to take the picture is the church, an old country church, that I spent many hours attending. Down the street is the renovated building where my uncle owned the little grocery mart. All around are homes of family and friends. Such great memories! I wish my Granny had lived long enough to see it too! She would have been so proud of my babies!

I loved seeing my family and only wish we could do it more often, like when I was a kid. It seems we can manage to arrange our schedules to attend funerals and big events only. I think that is why my friends are so important to me. I have always said that family is family by blood but true friends are family by choice. I have some great choices in my life and also a great bloodline!

To my family...chosen and by birth...I love ya..even if I dont tell you enough or manage to get my schedule to fit yours so we can spend more time together.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, I want to do this! Don't know a bit about it, but it looks cool. I can see how it will help with scrapbooking.:-)
Hugs,
Trey

Saturday, September 03, 2005 7:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home